Job Search - Preparation and Resources
College of the Arts - Career Services
CART Career Services and the University’s Center for Career Services & Cooperative Education provide a range of services and online tools to help prepare students for post-graduation job search or applying to Graduate School.
- On-line workshops provide help on resume writing, interviewing skills, internships, job searching, and networking. (For more information, go to: Online Workshops)
The Big Interview
- Big Interview is a free online system that combines training AND practice to help improve your interview technique and build your confidence. The system features a new and innovative way to help you prepare more effectively for a job interview.
- Optimal Resume is an online system providing interactive tools to help you create an effective resume, cover letter, thank you letter and online portfolio, as well as a tool for virtual interview practice. (For more information, go to: Optimal Resume)
Dance Tool Kit:
- Resume Sample - Graduate-Mid-Career Dance Performance
- Resume Sample - Undergraduate Dance Performance
- Resume Sample - Undergraduate Dance Studio Teaching
- Theatre and Dance Job Sites and Professional Organizations
- Access to part-time, full-time and internship postings. (For more information, go to: Job Postings.)
- Fine Art Internships
Career Information Resources
The resources below are linked to employment information, job-search resources and portfolio preparation advice:
- The Riley Guide – Directory of employment and career information sources and services on the Internet
- Quintessential Careers – An online leader in expert career, college and job-search advice.
- Creating a demo reel – Advice from a former Pixar intern
- New York Foundation for the Arts – provides support to artists and arts organizations. The website includes listings of jobs in the arts, opportunities and services for artists, and events, as well as discussion boards
- Glassdoor.com – looks at jobs and companies in terms of salary details, company reviews, and interview questions (employees and job seekers post anonymously)
- Salary.com – Salary generator based on location, industry, and experience
Professional Development Resources Related to Academic Majors
The links below go to Professional Development webpages in the College of the Arts’ academic departments:
Applying to Graduate School Resources
The links below address applying to graduate schools:
- Applying to graduate school – Information about the process of applying to graduate schools
- Montclair State University – The Graduate School – Information about University graduate programs
Additional Resources (grant writing, career-related, etc.)
- Fulbright Scholars Program – The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers fellowships for graduating seniors, graduate students, young professionals and artists to study abroad for one academic year.
- Freelance/Entrepreneur - US Small Business Administration - New Jersey District Office - The SBA provides information on starting, financing and managing a small business.
- My Next Move – U.S. Department of Labor’s online career tool designed to direct career-aspirants to training requirements applicable to specific professions
- Grant Writing Resources – PowerPoint presentation offered by the University’s Office of Research and Sponsored Programs