Advising, Matriculation, and Registration

You must contact the Graduate Program Coordinator / Doctoral Program Director for your program as soon as you arrive in the United States to develop a work program. This is a formal statement of the academic requirements for your degree and must be completed before you can register for classes.

  • Contact The Graduate School regarding registration procedures and specific information about your program.

  • Please be aware that students with F-1 Student Visas must register for at least nine credits each semester in order to maintain their immigration status.

  • TOEFL/IELTS and Test of English at MSU: The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required of all students whose native language is not English and whose degree was obtained in a country where English is not the official language (regardless of how long student has been in U.S.). Doctoral applicants must participate in an online interview with the Doctoral Program Director or designee. Master’s applicants may, at the discretion of the Graduate Program Coordinator, also be required to participate in an online interview.

    In addition, once accepted students arrive in the United States, they are required to take an English language proficiency test, administered at Montclair State University.  Upon review of the English language proficiency test score, students who score at IV or below may, depending on their course of study, be required to enroll in English as a Second Language (ESL) courses at Montclair State University.

  • MSU English Language Proficiency Requirement
    International students who earned undergraduate (or graduate) degrees in a country where English is not the official language are required to take the MSU ESL placement test and score higher than level IV. Students who do not place at this level will be provided with a list of ESL courses needed to reach the acceptable level of English proficiency. These courses will be added to the student’s program of study, and at least one course MUST be taken in the first semester of graduate study. While all students will be required to take the MSU ESL test, only degree seeking students will be required to register for ESL coursework.  Additionally, some Graduate Program Coordinators may decide to require all ESL courses be taken by their students. Please click here for testing dates and locations.