One of the goals of the Academic Success Center (ASC) is to offer quality tutorial services to Montclair State University students. Students are encouraged to take advantage of ASC tutoring, covered within their tuition, which fosters active learning, reasoning, and critical thinking. Our staff works to create a comfortable and engaging environment for students to further develop their academic skills and knowledge. Additionally, the tutors working at the Center are trained and certified in applying learning strategies and tutoring techniques to help students become more confident and competent learners while facing academic challenges and mastering the course content.
The Center advertises the tutoring schedule at the beginning of the semester and invites students seeking academic assistance to come early as well as throughout the semester. If you are interested in attending a tutoring session look to our schedule here, or call us at 973-655-4364 and speak to a desk assistant.
Currently Posted is our Summer Tutoring Schedule. Fall Tutoring will begin September 17th and the schedule will be posted by September 10th.
Fall and Spring Hours
Webster Hall, Rooms 200A & 300A:
Monday through Thursday: 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Residence Halls, Bohn 1001, Dinallo 2051 and Freeman 7th Floor Lounge:
Monday to Sunday 9:00 a.m. -9p.m. (Based on tutor availability)
Webster Hall 300A
Monday to Thursday 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
For most accurate schedules check our online tutoring schedule here.
What to know about Academic Success Center Tutoring:
- Types of Assistance
- To Attend a Tutoring Session
- What is Expected of Our Students?
Types of Assistance
In order to best fit your tutoring needs, ASC provides tutorial support in many different forms throughout the campus; in our Academic Success Center Webster Study Rooms, through partnership with Residence Life in the Academic Resource Centers in Bohn, Dinallo and Russ Halls and also online.
Appointment Based Tutoring
All one on one tutoring is available by appointment (half hour or hour long appointments) through our scheduling website montclair.mywconline.net. This site allows students and tutors to communicate prior to their meeting about the topics regarding their session and reserve an individual meeting with a tutor. Appointment Based Tutoring occurs in Webster, Bohn, Dinallo and Russ Halls.
We have many very popular tutors who have schedules that fill up quickly but we want to try and help as many students as possible. If you are having trouble making an appointment because of full schedules, particularly around midterms and finals, take advantage of the wait list. By clicking the clock in the left hand corner of a tutor's daily schedule you and any other student who requests it will be informed of a dropped appointment which you can then schedule for yourself.
Walk-In Based Tutoring
Walk-In Tutoring does not require students to make an appointment and is great for when something comes up quickly or a student has a quick question. Walk In Tutoring is based on the remaining hours a tutor is scheduled to work with the Academic Success Center, but they do not have students with reserved appointments. If we cannot provide a student with a walk in appointment, we will work to get them the closest scheduled appointment possible. Walk-In Tutoring is available in Webster, Bohn, Dinallo and Russ Hall.
Supplemental Instruction is unique form of tutoring where the tutors are involved in your classrooms. Supplemental Instructors will attend lectures and work closely with your professors to make sure they know exactly what your class is working in. Supplemental Instructors are skilled tutors that offer open group tutoring hours for the students in your section and is also available to others taking the class. Supplemental Instruction happens for varied classes across campus and in different locations. The semester schedule can be found here. More information on Supplemental Instruction can be found in the Supplemental Instruction side tab.
Skill Tutoring/ Academic Coaching
In the same way a student would make an appointment for Biology, anyone looking for some more universal academic support can make an appointment in skill tutoring with some of our Academic Coaches. These coaches tailor their meetings to their students' needs and provide them with resources along with schedule follow up meetings to check in. This covers topics like:
- Time Management
- Testing Stress
- Study Strategies
- Balancing and Prioritizing
- Note Taking
- Connecting to Campus Resources
The Academic Success Center is now offering online tutoring sessions by certain tutors and in specific subjects!
To request an online session follow the regular steps to book a tutoring session through our appointment site. On the appointment form select "online tutoring" from the drop down when filling out your booking form.
*NOTE: not all tutoring can become an online session. If you are looking for an online appointment, please look for the word online under the tutor's name*
Your online session will require you to log into WCOnline at the designated time of your session. You will then use the in-program software via the red link on your appointment to hold your session.
This will allow you to:
- Video chat
- Upload/ Download Documents
- Watch Your Session Later
To Attend A Tutoring Session You Can:
Go online to montclair.mywconline.net
1. Make an account using your Montclair email if you have not already
2. Search for the location and then subject that fit your needs from the drop downs in the middle of the page
3. Click on the white open area to book that session
4. Complete the appointment form and submit
5. Check your email for confirmation and add the date to your calendar
6. Show up and complete our after session evaluation form.
Can't Find an Appointment?
- If you do not see an appointment that fits your needs select a different location and search again
- If you cannot find a match for your needs or are unsure please contact the Academic Success Center Coordinator at email@example.com or 973-655-7743
What is Expected of Our Students?
It take two to tutor, so make sure you come prepared!
Arrive on time
- Any student over 15 minutes late to a scheduled appointment will have their appointment dropped and it will be open for walk in students.
- If a student is over 15 minutes late or misses 2 or more appointments their account with our scheduling site will be disabled and why will only be allowed walk-in appointments going forward.
Know what you want to work on
- On your appointment form, give you tutor a good description of the topics and questions you would like to work on. The more information, the better they can prepare.
- Come having started the work and with questions and resources (textbook, calculators, assignments) for the tutor. This gives you the most out of your time.
Know what your role is and what your tutor's role is
- We want to help you learn so the ASC staff and our tutors appreciate students who come ready to learn. The two best was to learn are to "do" and to "teach" this means your tutor might try to be more hands off and may ask you questions or ask you to explain.